Home What do we do ? Influenza FAQs Forms Employee Assistance Programme UCL Health Related Policies Work Health Health Promotions Health Links Site A - Z Feedback HR Home


1. I am planning to travel to a country affected by the Ebola Virus, what do I need to know?

Staff considering travel to the countries currently affected by Ebola:

Consider whether travel is necessary.


Students considering travel to the countries currently affected by Ebola:
Consider whether travel is necessary.

2. I am returning from a country affected by the Ebola virus, what do I need to know?

Staff or Students arriving from tropical countries to the UK:
You must seek medical attention:

3. What should I know about New Ebola Virus?

Please see New Ebola Virus Disease document.

4. What is Occupational Health?

The Occupational Health team aims to provide a comprehensive occupational health service to assist University College London in promoting physical and psychological well being and prevent illness and injury arising from work activity. This is achieved by a pro-active approach to the management of health in the work environment, advising on the effects of health on work and work on health.

5. Where is OH located?

The Occupational Health Service is situated on the 4th Floor of the Medical Centre at 3 Gower Place.      
Tel 020 7679 2802  
email ohsadmin@ucl.ac.uk

6. What does the Occupational Health Service (OHS) do?

Referral to Occupational Health for Advice
Advice on Workplace Adjustments for Disabilities
Pre Employment Screening
Drivers Health Screening
Health Surveillance under COSHH Regulations 2002
Work Related Immunisation
Travel Vaccines for Work and Holiday

7. How long will my appointment last?

Most appointments last between 15 and 30 minutes, however, if you are referred by your manager for advice or are attending the counselling service then the appointment may last between 30 and 60 minutes.

8. I am a student at UCL, can I make an appointment through you?

The Occupational Health Service is available for all staff and post graduate students of UCL. The OH Service also provides health screening for professionally regulated students who are undertaking study at UCL.

If you are an under graduate student and require support and assistance you should access the student website at http://www.ucl.ac.uk/current-students/support for further information. 

9. Do I need to be vaccinated against Hepatitis B?

All staff working with blood, human tissue or cells or staff dealing with clinical waste should be protected against Hepatitis B.
For the initial course, 3 injections are normally required spaced at

1st dose
2nd dose one month later
3rd dose 6 months from 1st dose

Two months after the 3rd dose a blood test is required. If the result is satisfactory then you will be considered to have immunity to the hepatitis B virus. If it is unsatisfactory, then a booster dose is required and another blood test two months later. If still unsatisfactory, a further course of 3 injections may be required, followed by a blood test.

A single booster dose is required at 5 years and current indications are that this  will provide life-long immunity, but this should be checked following a sharp’s injury or other accidental exposure to blood or body fluids.

10. I feel unwell/have a health problem. Where can I get advice or treatment?

For investigation, treatment, advice or specialist referrals for health problems, staff are advised to see their GP. NHS direct can also be contacted for urgent medical queries and provide information on NHS services e.g. how to find and register with a GP.

Staff must ensure that they are registered with an NHS or private GP.  UCL OHS provides specialist occupational health services. It is not part of the NHS Primary Care Service and therefore is neither funded nor structured to provide investigation, treatment or specialist referrals for health problems. All general investigations and treatment of health problems is the responsibility of your General Practitioner (GP).

If specific health surveillance is required, because of the nature of your work, UCL OHS will include you in a relevant health surveillance programme when your manager has notified us of the type of work you are undertaking.

Do you feel that your health problem is related to or affecting your work performance/attendance? Yes

11. How do I find a GP/Dentist etc.?

Your local Primary Care Trust will advise on how to register with a local GP and, if necessary, allocate a GP to you in your local area. Details of your local trust can be found at http://www.nhs.uk/ServiceDirectories/Pages/AcuteTrustListing.aspx
www.nhs.uk also has lists of GP’s and dentists by postcode.

The Gower Place GP Practice is found at 2nd Floor, UCL Health Centre Building, 3 Gower Place, London WC1 Tel: ext: 37057   
Surgery Hours: Mon-Fri 9.30am-10.30am & 2.30pm-3.30pm (Please note: You can only receive GP services if you live locally and are registered with The Gower Place Practice)

The Dental Centre is found at 5th Floor, UCL Health Centre Building, 3 Gower Place, London WC1Tel: 020 7679 7186 Surgery Hours: Mon-Fri 9.00am - 5.00pm

12. I don’t have a GP/can’t get an appointment with my GP, where can I get immediate treatment/advice?

Advice can be obtained from NHS Direct 0845 4647 or www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk. There are also NHS Walk-In Centres. The nearest one to UCL is in Soho Square.

13. What do I do if I have an accident at work?

In the first instance contact your local first aider. In emergency situations dial 222 and request an ambulance. The Gower Place GP Practice will also attend emergencies on the Bloomsbury campus (Tel: 020 7379 7200 internal ext: 37200). Details of UCL's first aid arrangements are on the safety service web page

An accident/incident form should be completed in ALL cases, even if no injury was sustained from the incident

14. What do I do if I have a needle stick injury or other accidental exposure to blood or body fluids?

If you are exposed to human blood or bodily fluids you should:

See further information

15. Does OHS provide first-aid treatment?

All treatment is provided locally by first aiders in each department. We advise that all staff to make themselves aware of the contact details for their nearest first aider via your Departmental Administrator. Staff with medical conditions that might require the attention of a first aider should make themselves known to the first aider.

16. What if my health problem is work related or affecting my ability to work?

If specific health surveillance is required, because of the nature of your work, UCL OHS will include you in a relevant health surveillance programme when your manager has notified us of the type of work you are undertaking.

Otherwise, for all other investigations, diagnosis and treatment you should see your GP.

In addition, if you think that your health problems (physical or psychological) may be caused by your work or affecting your ability to work, you should discuss this with your manager and ask for a referral to the OHS. You do not have to disclose any personal l information to your manager. If you prefer - you can discuss the health problem in terms of the effects on your work e.g. "health problem affecting concentration".

You can also self-refer to OHS. However, if adjustments to your work are required, your manager will need to be involved so in such cases manager’s referrals are preferable.

17. How do managers refer staff to OHS?

If a manager has any concerns about the effects of work on an employee's health, or the effects of a health problem on an employee's performance or attendance, they should consider referral to the OHS for advice.  For more information you should access Management and self Referrals.

18. I have been told that as a computer user I am entitled to a free eye-test. How do I arrange this?

The Occupational Health Service implements UCL's policy on eye tests for DSE users.  Information on how to arrange an eye test can be found in the policy.

19. Can the OHS recommend a physiotherapist?

Following an OH assessment, the OHS can make a referral for assessment and short-term physiotherapy where the condition is impacting on work. For long term treatment, please discuss a referral to an NHS physiotherapist with your GP.

If you decide to see a physiotherapist privately you can find lists of physiotherapists online or in the phone book. As the law currently stands, anyone can work in private practice as a physiotherapist (or 'physical therapist'). The terms are not yet legally protected title. If you opt for private treatment, make sure you see a chartered and/or state registered physiotherapist. This will guarantee that:

The physiotherapist should have at least one of the following sets of initials after their name:

20. Does UCL provide private health insurance?

From 3rd November 2014 UCL has a voluntary healthcare scheme that allows employees to take advantage of highly discounted medical insurance, should they wish to do so.  The scheme provided by AXA PPA offers employees and their dependents and/or family prompt access to eligible private medical treatment, allowing them to get the treatment they need, when they need it. Further information is available on the Staff Benefits Page

21. Are UCL Staff Routinely Offered Influenza Vaccination?

Further information is available here.

22. I would like to cycle to work, does UCL have any showering facilities?

Yes, UCL has showering facilities around the campus.  For more information please visit the following webpage: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/environment/travel

23. Confidentiality and How to Access Your Occupational Health Record

Further information can be found here.

24. What should I do if my office becomes uncomfortably warm?

If an employee feels the temperature at work is uncomfortable they should advise their manager or supervisor.  Managers may wish to consider home working, or relocating staff to cooler areas in warm weather when buildings become uncomfortable, or arranging for cooling equipment, if this can be accommodated.