UCL logo


The UCL Portering Service is able to carry out light removals and deliveries, small scale office moves and the setting up of rooms for functions and events. It is not able to undertake the movement of personal possessions.

To assist you and to help us deliver the services you need we have provided answers to a few Frequently Asked Questions that we hope you will find useful.

  • How do I request a portering job?

    Requests for portering services should be made to the Customer Services Centre using the Service Request Form available on the UCL Estates website.

    When requesting assistance, it would be helpful if you could provide the following information:

    • Your contact details with an alternative point of contact if possible.
    • The date by when you would like the work carried out.
    • Building and room details at start and delivery points.
    • Full details of the items to be delivered or moved.

    If the items are particularly heavy or the job involves a large amount to be moved i.e. you cannot lift them yourself, please make this clear in your request. Where there are fixtures to be dismantled, please arrange this with the maintenance team prior to your move date through the Service Request Form.

  • When is the service available?

    The normal service is available at the Bloomsbury Campus from 0800 - 1600, Monday - Friday. Support at other times and to other UCL sites may be possible but is subject to workloads and availability of resources.

  • Do I have to pay for any of this service?

    Although there is no charge to Departments for the majority of work needed, where a job is particularly large or complex or requires the use of additional resources including personnel, equipment or vehicles, the additional costs incurred will be recharged to the client Department; alternatively, you may deal direct with UCL's moves contractor.

    Damage to UCL equipment or property, caused during an event, will be recharged to the event organisers. Please note poster boards should not be placed outside and sign stands should not be left in the open overnight.

  • How long will it take for the job to be done?

    If you are able to provide us with at least 4 working days notice of your requirement, we would normally be able to complete your request by the date you require. Inevitably there will be times when a conflict of priorities arises or an emergency requires us to make an unscheduled response elsewhere but in such cases we will endeavour to reschedule your work to minimise disruption and inconvenience.

    Please note that there are particular times in the Academic Year including the exams period, when the portering teams are tasked to support a number of large UCL events and at these times service requests may take longer to complete. Should this happen, you will be contacted by a member of the UCL Estates team to try and arrange a suitable alternative time.

    Given the varying types of request and the different nature of the UCL Estate, where a job may be particularly complicated or there are access issues, then a team leader may visit the area to perform a risk assessment prior to the moves taking place. Please bear this in mind when requesting a specific completion date. This may also result in the use of external resources

  • I am using centrally bookable meeting space. Do I also need to make a separate request for portering assistance to set-up the Room?

    When you make your room booking, any furniture set-up requested will automatically be passed to the Portering Team where four working days notice has been provided.

  • I am part of UCL and am holding an event at a non-College site. Can I request and use UCL furniture?

    The furniture provided in centrally bookable areas on the Bloomsbury Campus is provided for use specifically in those particular areas and is not normally available to be taken off-site. Where furniture or equipment is required to support an off-site event, this should be arranged through the external venue, or directly with one of the approved suppliers. Similarly, if you using a UCL area and have borrowed or collected items from other Departments, please remember to make arrangements for them to be returned.

  • How can I get items moved which are valuable or delicate?

    It is recommended that Departments use specialist providers to undertake the packing and moving of items such as historic artefacts, art works etc; please seek advice from UCL's specialist contractor, HRH Transport Ltd.

  • How do I arrange to move laboratory equipment?

    For specialist laboratory moves, please seek advice from UCL's specialist contractor, HRH Transport Ltd.

  • How do I dispose of any waste materials?

    Any waste materials can be disposed of separately through the Facilities Waste Disposal Service. Please use the Service Request Form to request this particular service, listing the items to be removed.

  • The above does not answer my question. What should I do?

    If you have additional questions and concerns that are not covered here, please contact the Customer Services Centre on 020 7679 0000 or 30000.


UCL Estates Service Request Form

Specialist Contractors


University College London - Gower Street - London - WC1E 6BT - Telephone: +44 (0)20 7679 2000 - Copyright © 1999-2014 UCL