This website gives information on Jeremy Bentham and about the work of the Bentham Project. We are the world centre for Bentham Studies and our main activity is the production of the new edition of Bentham's Collected Works. We are part of UCL's Faculty of Laws.
The Bentham Project has recently begun an initiative to transcribe the manuscripts of Jeremy Bentham. Transcribe Bentham was formally launched in September 2010.
News and Events
- The 2014 Bentham Seminars have been announced, featuring papers from Professor David Lieberman and Professor Gerald J. Postema. View the full programme or download the poster.
- Dr Michael Quinn has written a response to Jeremy Seabrook's recent Guardian comment on Jeremy Bentham and the Poor Laws.
- Professor Philip Schofield's review article on recent Bentham scholarship has been published in the Annual Review of Law and Social Science.
- New Directions in Bentham Studies, a symposium hosted by the Bentham Project, will be held at UCL on Friday 13 December 2013. Register your attendance online.
- A new Transcribe Bentham leaflet is now available for download as a PDF (many thanks to Angela Scott, Senior Designer at UCL Creative Media Services for producing it). A new poster has also been produced.
- Members of the Project were featured on BBC Radio 4 on 27 August 2013, discussing Bentham's ideas, manuscripts and his Panopticon prison kitchen! Listen to a recording of the feature or watch a short video.
- Economic Justice: The social philosophy in John Stuart Mill’s Utilitarianism by Huei-chun Su (Honorary Research Fellow at the Bentham Project) has recently been published by Routledge.
- An upgraded version of the Transcribe Bentham transcription interface was launched to the public on 15 July. Visit the Transcription Desk in order to view and transcribe unpublished Bentham manuscripts!
- Jon Elster's new book Securities against Misrule takes its inspiration from Bentham.
- ISUS XIII: The 13th Conference of the International Society for Utilitarian Studies will be held on 20-22 August 2014, at Yokohama National University. Visit the conference website.
- The Bentham Project published online a preliminary edition of Jeremy Bentham's Not Paul, but Jesus Vol. III.
- An article in the British Academy Review discusses Transcribe Bentham and the work of the Bentham Project.
See previous news and events in our archive.
The Bentham Project is supported by: